Dr. Prem Pillay
Dr Prem Pillay's Profile
Senior Singapore Neurosurgeon and Medical Director at Singapore Brain-Spine-Nerves Center, Mt Elizabeth Medical Center in Singapore.
- Senior Specialist Neurosurgeon and Medical Director at Singapore Brain-Spine-Nerves Center, Mt Elizabeth Medical Center
- Senior Spine Specialist at the Advanced Spine Center, Mt Elizabeth Novena Medical Center
- Director of Spine and Pain Services, Neuro Spine and Pain Center Singapore.
Training and Subspeciality Training
· Neurosurgery Residency Training (Brain and Spine), Cleveland Clinic, USA
· Chief Resident, Neurosurgery (Brain and Spine), Cleveland Clinic, USA
· Fellowship in Epilepsy Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, USA
· Fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgical Oncology (Brain and Spine), MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
· Fellowship in Pediatric Neurosurgery(Brain and Spine), Hospital for Sick Kids, Toronto, Canada
· Singapore Medical Association Medal 1980
· Howard Eddie Gold Medal, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
· Pudenz Award, Congress of Neurosurgical Surgeons, USA, 1988
· William E Lower Award, First Prize, Cleveland Clinic, USA, 1990
· Congress of Neurosurgeons Fellowship Award, USA, 1991
· Mahaley Clinic Research Award by American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Tumor Section, USA, 1998
· National Brain Tumor Foundation Award,USA, 1998
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
· Member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons(AANS) and Congress of Neurological Surgeons(CNS) and Member of the Tumor Section, Spine & Peripheral Nerve Section, Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery Section, Pediatric Section and Pain Section
· Founding Member and 1st Chairman of the Asian Society of Stereotactic, Functional & Computer-assisted Neurosurgery
· Member of the American Epilepsy Society
· Member of Society of Neuro-Oncology
· Fellow of the International College of Surgeons
· Member of the American College of Surgeons
· Member of the Minimally Invasive Spine Society
· Member of Spine Athroplasty Society
· Member of the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
· Chief Resident, Dept of Neurosurgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Hospital , USA
· Fellow in Neurosurgery, Dept of Neurosurgery, MD Anderson Cancer Hospital, USA
· Fellow in Neurosurgery,Dept of Neurosurgery, Hospital for Sick Children,Toronto,Canada
· Head , Department of Neurosurgery , Singapore General Hospital
· Co-Director of the Brain Center, Singapore General Hospital
· Lecturer in Surgery, National University of Singapore
SYNOPSIS : DR Prem Pillay
Dr Prem Pillay, is a Senior Consultant Singapore Specialist Neurosurgeon(Brain+Spine) who previously worked for many years at the Cleveland Clinic Hospital in the USA (ranked as one of the top Hospitals in the USA and the world) where he became Chief Resident Neurosurgeon and won the Lower Award and then the Pudenz Award for his Neuro research. He was mentored by top Neurosurgeons who were among the best neurosurgeons in the USA/World including Dr Joe Hahn, Dr John Little(from the Mayo clinic, and an expert on difficult and reoperative brain and spine surgery), Dr Russell Hardy (a Spine specialist who had written a textbook on the Lumbar Spine), Dr Ian Kalfas (a leader in Image Guided Spine surgery and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery) and Dr Sam Hassenbusch ( A world leader in Pain treatments and Brain Tumor treatments). A posting to the Mayo clinic during his Senior Resident years allowed him to learn from Dr Patrick Kelly a leader in Robotics and Image Guided Neurosurgery.
He did a fellowship in Neurosurgical Oncology (Brain+Spine) at MD Anderson Cancer Center (ranked as the best Cancer hospital in the USA and top 3 in the World) and was taught by Dr Raymond Sawaya, a world renowned Neurosurgeon and one of the best neurosurgeons for brain tumor and spine tumor treatments. He also did a fellowship in Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto,Canada (Ranked as one of the best Childrens Hospitals in the World) under the tutelage of Dr Harold Hoffman, Dr Robin Humphreys, Dr Jim Drake(an expert in robotics in neurosurgery), and Dr Rutka (all of whom are recognized as the best pediatric Neurosurgeons in the world). He also worked with Dr Joe Maroon, a Spine Neurosurgeon in Pittsburgh who is a pioneer and leading neurosurgeon for Minimally Invasive Spine and Percutaneous Spine procedures.
Dr Prem is now at the Singapore Brain-Spine-Nerves Center at Mt Elizabeth Medical Center and Hospital and at the Advanced Spine Center at Mt Elizabeth Novena Medical Center and Hospital in Singapore.
He is an award winning and pioneering Neurosurgeon in the areas of less invasive Brain and Spine treatments/surgery. He is an old boy of ACS where he was a top student and a recipient of the Seow Poh Leng Medal. He is a graduate of the National University of Singapore Medical School(ranked as the best medical school in Asia and top 20 in the world) where he was awarded the Singapore Medical Association medal for being one of the top students in his graduating class. He has served as a Military Doctor and was a Senior Surgeon at a Combat hospital during his reservist period.He was also the Head of the Department of Neurosurgery and Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Singapore General Hospital and involved in the teaching and training of medical students, young doctors and Neurosurgical trainee doctors. He has introduced many new technologies and techniques in Neurosurgery to Singapore and the Region(SEA and South Asia) including computer aided/Image guided surgery for the brain and spine;3D Microsurgery, Radiosurgery including the Gamma Knife; Epilepsy surgery, Neuro Endoscopy and Pain treatments.He was awarded the Mahaley Award(USA/International Award) for innovative work in Neuro Oncology for his work on Endoscopic tumor surgery. He was also the recipient of the National Brain Tumor Foundation(USA) award for his work to help those with tumors.He has presented, published and taught at about 100 International/Local Meetings, Journals,Textbooks and public talks. He remains committed to providing the best Neurosurgery practises of the best Neurosurgeons of the world to his patients.
Dr Prem Pillay is an expert in Minimally Invasive Brain and Spine surgery and non surgical methods (Spine Injections, Gamma Knife, MicroRadiosurgery) for a comprehensive range of brain and spine disorders including brain tumors: meningiomas, acoustic neuromas, pituitary tumors and pituitary adenomas, craniopharyngiomas, brain metastases, astrocytoma, glioma, hydrocephalus, CNS lymphoma and others. He also treats a variety of spine disorders including spine injuries, spine fractures, slipped discs of the spine, spine disc herniation, spine spondylosis, spine spondylolisthesis, spine tumors and spine infections that cause back pain, neck pain, sciatica and limb weakness; using both minimally invasive spine surgery as well as advanced spine injections. Furthur information can be found at www.DrPremPillay.org and www.spine-neuro.org
He is dedicated and compassionate towards his patients and is committed to providing the best neurosurgery practises of the best neurosurgeons for them.