Dr. James Tan
Dr Tan is a Urologist with wide experience in managing benign and malignant conditions of the adrenal gland, kidney, bladder and prostate. His subspecialty expertise is in genito-urinary cancer surgery, robotic & advanced laparoscopic management of urological problems. He is the first in Singapore to perform laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (2002), retroperitoneal radical nephrectomy, laparoscopic transposition of retrocaval ureter and laparoscopic repair of vesico-vaginal fistula. His other areas of expertise is in minimally invasive and endoscopic management of urinary stones and prostate diseases.
Dr Tan is an accredited Consultant Urologist at 5 major private hospitals in Singapore: Mount Elizabeth (Orchard) Hospital, Mount Elizabeth (Novena) Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital, Mount Alvernia Hospital and Fortis Hospital. He is also a Visiting Consultant at the National University Hospital, and a gazetted Renal Transplant Surgeon in the Ministry of Health Transplant Team.
Prior to starting his private practice at James Tan Centre for Urology & Robotic Surgery, he was Head of Urology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital and the Lead Surgeon (Urology) at TTSH's Centre for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery. Dr James Tan has been in private practice since June 2005. He is most well known for his laparoscopic surgery, robotic surgery and kidney transplant surgery.
Snce 2004, Dr James Tan has performed and helped colleagues perform more than a few hundred robotic radical prostatectomy. He routinely performs bilateral nerve sparing and bladder neck sparing robotic prostatectomy to preserve potency and urinary continence. Where appropriate, he will perform additional bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy.
He is also the first to perform routinely laparoscopic donor nephrectomy for kidney transplant in Mount Elizabeth Hospital in 2008.
His other areas of expertise are in minimally invasive and endoscopic management of urinary stones and prostate diseases.
Dr James Tan obtained his basic medical degree in the National University of Singapore in 1990, and won the Thambipillai Medal (Top in class of 200) for Anatomy. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh and Glasgow in 1995, and earned his Masters of Medicine in National University of Singapore in the same year. He was conferred as Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore (Urology) in 2000.
Overseas Clinical Fellowship:
Dr Tan won a Ministry of Health HMDP scholarship for an overseas clinical fellowship in Genitor-Urinary Cancer Surgery from 2000 to 2001. He was attached to the London Health Sciences Centre in Canada.
He was awarded the 2002 Academy of Medicine Traveling Fellowship to the Chi Mei Foundation Medical Centre in Taiwan specializing in Laparoscopic Urology. During the Fellowship, he honed his laparoscopic skill by studying and performing laparoscopic partial cystectomy and enterocystoplasty in an animal model. He also participated in many laparoscopic radical cystectomy and nephro-ureterectomy in the clinical setting for patients with bladder and/or ureteric transitional cell carcinoma.
He received further training in Cleveland Clinic (Laparoscopic Urology) in 2001, Detroit (Robotic Prostatectomy) in 2003 and France (Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy) in 2002.
Dr Tan won the Federation of Asean Urological Association Best Oral Paper Prize in 1999.
He was awarded the Singapore Urological Association Annual Book Prize in 2000.
He received the European Board of Urology Best in Knowledge Prize in 2002.
He also won the Best Video Prize in the First National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Meeting in 2002.
Dr James Tan has helped in the training of many junior surgeons in Singapore and the region through numerous surgical demonstrations, teleconferences and workshops. He has also done live surgery demonstrations in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Nepal and Thailand. His teaching appointments include the following:
- Course Director, Experimental Surgery in Laparoscopic Urology, 2002
- Teaching Faculty, Advanced Urological Laparoscopic Symposium and Workshop, XXXIII World Congress of the International College of Surgeons, Taipei
- Faculty, Endourology & Laparoscopic Surgery Workshop cum National Conference, Society of Surgeons of Nepal
- Teaching Faculty, National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Meeting 2002, 2003, 2004
- Teaching Faculty, Pre-Congress Workshop, Asian Congress in Urology (Hong Kong), 2004
- Qingdao International Urology Meeting, 2004
- Teaching Faculty, Urology Fair 2005
- Course Director, Laparoscopic Workshop, 2005
Current Professional Appointments:
Member, Medical Advisory Board, Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
Representative of the Urology/Nephrology Subspecialty Interest Group at Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
Chairman of Tissue Committee, Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
Life member of the Singapore Urological Association and had held the position of EXCO member and Honorary Treasurer.
Gazetted Kidney Transplant Surgeon, Ministry of Health Kidney Transplant Team
He is a member of the American Urological Association, European Urology Association, Asian Society of Endourology, Asia-Pacific Society of Uro-Oncolog and Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia.
Previousr Professional Appointments:
- Head of Urology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- Lead Surgeon, Laparoscopic Urology Service, Centre for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- Visiting Specialist, Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- Deputy Director, Clinical Research Unit, Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- Clinical Lecturer, National University of Singapore
- Member, Tan Tock Seng Hospital Research Committee
- Member, Credentials and Accreditation Committee for Minimally Invasive Surgery, TTSH
- Mentor and Supervisor, Advanced Surgical (Urology) Trainees
- Reviewer for Research Grants Awarding Committees:
- National Medical Research Council
- National Healthcare Group Research Fund
- Tan Tock Seng Hospital Research Fund
- Secretary, Urology Fair 2003, 2004
- Scientific Chairman, Urology Fair 2005
- Scientific Chairman, Federation of Asean Urological Assn Meeting, 2005
- Chairman Organizing Committee, Urology Fair 2006
- Treasurer, Singapore Urological Association 2004-2006
- Vice-President, Singapore College of Surgeons, 200
He was Deputy Director of TTSH's Clinical Research Unit. He was the Principal Investigator of studies on Prostate Cancer Screening Programme, Computerized Online Genito-Urinary Cancer Database, Empirical Antibiotic Therapy for Abnormally Raised PSA, Erectile Dysfunction, Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Varicocele.
His publications include at least 15 peer-reviewed indexed journal articles and more than 100 conference articles and award-winning videos.
- Prostate Health Check and PSA testing
- Men Sexual Health Evaluation
- Urinary Stone management
- Evaluation of Adrenal Disorders
- Kidney Function test
- Urinary Incontinence
- Urinary tract cancers
- Inguinal Hernia
Procedures and Surgery
- Transrectal ultrasound prostate and prostate biopsy
- Testostoerone supplements and replacement
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy
- PCNL (Percutaneous Nephrolithotripsy)
- Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Kidney Transplant
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy
- Robotic Prostatectomy
- TURBT Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumour
- TURP Transurethral Resection of Prostate
- Ureteroscopic Laser Lithotripsy